Saturday, September 21, 2013

Salsa Mania


Every time I want to try canning something new, I go in search of several recipes that will inspire. When it was salsa time, a few years ago I combed the internet for a yummy recipe that would be close to what you get in a great Mexican food restaurant. I looked and looked, but came across mostly the same thing the acid used was vinegar. Then I found this gem! On a great blog about local seasonal food. SEASONAL ONTARIO FOOD by Ferdzy. She uses lime juice instead of vinegar! So I jumped in and started to make it. To date I have made about 6 batches over three years and I am sold! My husband loves it so much that when people come to dinner he brags and likes to give them away. I have to make extra each year to make up for the jars he gives away.

I grow some of the items in my garden and get the others from local farmers markets.

Salsa for Canning

yields: abt. 10 pint jars

Needed:
8 quarts tomatoes - I like Romas, but you can use other kinds.
pickling salt
6 large onions
2-3 heads of garlic
1 lb jalapenos
6 large green chili peppers (I like poblano)
2 1/2 cups minced cilantro
1/4 cup ground cumin seed (I grind mine fresh in a coffee grinder)
6 ounce can tomato paste
3 tbl lime juice per jar

1. Wash your tomatoes, blanch, remove skins, de-seed and chop coarsely. Layer them in a large strainer about 4 parts with 1 tbl spoon salt between (salt will dissolve and come off with the water). You may leave the strainer in the sink or over a bowl, but try to not let the tomatoes sit in the juice that runs off. Let them rest like this for 4-6 hours or overnight, in a cool spot (not in the refrigerator). Goal is to let as much tomato water drain as possible.

2. Peel and chop the onions, de-stem ad de-seed the jalapenos, green peppers, peel and mince the garlic. (wear gloves with the garlic and jalapenos) Squeeze the juice from the limes, or use lime juice from a bottle.

3. Take the strained tomatoes, and chop them to the texture you desire. I use a food processor at this point for the tomatoes, onions, peppers, jalapenos and cilantro. Mix the tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapenos, chili, cilantro, cumin, tomato paste together and taste. Add salt if needed.

4. Sterilize canning jars, prep lids, have water boiler ready. Put salsa on stove and bring to a boil. Add lime juice to hot jars and fill with hot salsa. Fix lids and process jars in water boiler for 20 mins.

5. Take jars out and allow to cool. Check seals and wash jars before storage. Label and enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment