Sunday, September 22, 2013

Cold Frame Almost Finished

For a few years I have been planning and researching cold frames. Since posting photos to my Facebook page a couple weeks ago when we started our install, I have had lots of questions. I hope this post will answer some of those questions.

Cold Frames help to protect plants from the elements and provide a sheltered growing environment. Cold frames can be dug down into the earth or can be a simple box built that sits on the ground. It protects from wind, snow, frost, and extreme cold. 

I love this article on cold frames from Eliot Coleman at vegetablegardener.com. Great resource, lots of information, photos, and details to draw from. 

You can go to Eliot Colman and Barbara Damrosch 's Website and read articles they have written on gardening. Love their books and approach to gardening. 


I year ago my massage therapist was cleaning out her garage and asked me if I wanted these windows? They are 3'x4' double pained windows. Perfect! When it is finished we will have a 4'x14' garden bed/cold frame. 


After living in our house for a few years and gardening each year, I have learned which area's I do better with in the winter. This spring I made up my mind that I wanted to convert the kitchen herb bed to my cold frame area. It is easy to get to, and I do not have to move large amounts of snow to get to it. Unlike the compost bin that I have to hike out to with muck boots. 

My husband can thank his mad construction skills for the custom build frame. It is not totally finished. I still need to finish cleaning up, calking, and painting the windows. I hope this week will bring the cold frame to completion, or at least be ready for the windows/lights to be installed. Have to wait for the paint to dry before we can do that. 


Stay tuned for future post of what can grow in a cold frame, and photos of the finished product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment