Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What Plants Go in a Cold Frame for Fall and Winter


Plants

When to plant
When to harvest
 Virities and Links to order online
Cichorium
Radicchio
Endive
Chicory
Frisee
Escarole
Sugarloaf
Dandelion
Mid July
Unfrozen

Many others, these are the ones I will try this year. 
Swiss Chard
Mid July
Unfrozen
Scallions
Mid July
Can be picked frozen
Parsley
Mid July
Unfrozen
Carrots
August 1
Unfrozen
Mustard
Mid August
Unfrozen
Turnip Greens
Mid August
Unfrozen
Spinach
September – All Winter
Unfrozen
Mache
September – All Winter
Can be picked frozen

Lettuce
September – All Winter
Unfrozen
Arugula
September – All Winter
Unfrozen
Claytonia (miner’s lettuce or winter’s purslane )
September – All Winter
Unfrozen
Minutina
September
Unfrozen
Radish
September – All Winter
Unfrozen
Leeks
Mid July
Unfrozen
Sorrel
Mid July
Unfrozen
Thyme
Mid July
Unfrozen
Rosemary

Unfrozen
Cilantro
Mid July
Unfrozen
Peas
August 1
Unfrozen

We only just finished the cold frame yesterday and I tried my best to get it planted a couple weeks ago. Didn't get to plat it when I should have for maximum growth, but this will be a little experiment. We should have a good bit of fresh greens for salads and juice. The things I can plant all winter, we will be having lots of those. 


I grew this Dinosaur Kale for the first time this year in my summer garden. It is still going strong as a monster plant. I love to use the leaves in my juicer as they are long and narrow. 


Vates Kale is the one you see often in the store. Very curly and so very tasty. I love to make kale chips with the Vates. So yummy. My massage therapist Julie gave me the best recipe for making them in the dehydrator. Sooooo Good! I can almost eat the whole batch myself. After "cooking" for a couple hours I am in the kitchen sampling them. Last time I ate two trays before it was finished.



My husband loves radishes. As long as they are washed and ready to eat in the fridge he will munch away. Or he gets them right from the garden as he is walking in from work. I like to think of him as my "rabbit".



I love beets! Roasted, pickled, steamed, greens, and any verity. Though maybe my favorite is the golden beets.



Cleaning out my seeds this fall, I found I had five different envelops of spinach. I choose three and planted them all. This one that I bought in bulk at the feed store was the only one to come up. I have not had the best of luck with spinach in the garden. Though I love it! So I hope this one keeps going strong. I will be planting more this week.



With my mother being from Alabama, we grew up as children eating lots of greens. Collards and Swiss Chard were more common in our home. Swiss Chard is so much like spinach, but some days I think even better. The smell of it steaming in the kitchen is one of the best earthy smells. YUM! Think I know what I will be having for lunch tomorrow.











My first time planting onions from seed. I got these three from Seed Saver Exchange in Iowa when I was out there for my sister-in-laws wedding. So want to go again in the middle of summer. Can't wait for these to get even bigger! 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I will ever build a cold frame, but I sure am having fun watching you share your experiences with your!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! I am glad you are enjoying out little venture into cold frame gardening. Perhaps it will inspire you in some other fashion. Glad to have you reading the blog and cheering for us!

      Delete