Tuesday, October 1, 2013

It is finished!  YAHOO!!!!
I am so excited I could explode! 
4' X 14' Cold Frame




It took way to long to paint the windows and have them ready to go. Special thanks to my sister who helped me last weekend, and a extra thank you to my massage therapist Julie for giving me these windows last year. She, like me loves to garden and this is something we have talked about during many a massage sessions.


This is the thermostat sensor that is tells me what the temperature is from the comfort of my kitchen counter.


I love how easy it is to see what the temperature is and know when to go open or close the frame. For those who may or may not know. 

You want to keep the inside of the Cold Frame colder than warmer. Below 75°F during the summer Below and 60°F for the spring and fall. When it is about 40°F you want to start venting and anything above 50°F take the lids off or open the all the way. Don't forget to close the lids in the cooler evenings. 


The one thing we still are working on is the ropes that help with the venting. Right now it is all manual, we are thinking of adding a crank. This is my husbands idea. I love him! He likes to look for the "better" way of doing everything! If it looks like hard work, he will find a way to do it with a button. Hence my digital thermometer, vs. the one that you have to peek at from the inside of the cold frame. That is to much work when there is a foot of snow on the ground.


Here is me playing with the venting of the "lights". I LOVE IT!


This is my sweet Maggie. She loved every moment we worked on the Cold Frame. She "supervised" as she ate a larger than life kohlrabi root that I pulled for her last week and dried in the sun.

Just a few finishing touches. Some weather stripping around the windows and caulking for the larger cracks. Lets not forget that crank system my husband wants to install. I think it is a GREAT idea! If anyone knows of something that will work feel free to suggest it.

More tomorrow about what I have planted inside.


2 comments:

  1. Erin -- such a wonderful cold frame -- and Jon really did do such nice job building it. You will love the crank system for opening the windows. Most cold frames I've ever seen are much smaller then yours. You will actually be able to harvest quilt a bit of fresh veggies over the winter. I will look forward to following your blog and learning more about your crops and harvests. Good luck!! Keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It has been so fun to check it through the day and see the temperature rise and fall. Best of all was the kitty didn't get in it last night! There were little muddy foot prints on it this morning. So glad to keep him out!

    You should check my most recent post for what plants are going in the cold frame this year! Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete